Search This Blog

Friday, July 08, 2005

So much for biking season...

Well after 33 years it finally happened.... I broke a bone. For the longest time I've joked about rebounding from just about anything. No matter how severe the accident, I would walk away with only a few scratches.

How did it all happen?
Well I was biking home Wednesday morning, zipping down the hill and entering the Perks parking lot, when this car that I taken for having parked suddenly backs out taking the whole lane. I hit my back breaks, but with only 4 feet between us, I wasn't going to stop in time. Forgetting I had brand spanking new front end breaks, I squeezed them a little too hard and suddenly toppled forward. My arm made contact with his rear left panel, and well, the car was more resilient than my arm and it went pop!

So I have a latteral fracture of the right humerus, not good considering many hand nerves wrap along the bone. I'm fortunate enough so far to have not suffered any any nerve damage. So the doctor are hoping that gravity and proper positioning will allow the arm to heal naturally. To put it in a cast risks pinching a nerve, to operate to pin the bone runs the risk of them cutting a nerve. So lets hope it can heal on its own.... I rather like the use of my right hand....

So I'm managing things with my left hand till my arm heals. Though I can manage typing with my off hand, my handwritting looks like something from 2nd grade! I also didn't realise just how much one depends on both hands to do some of the simplest tasks. Getting dressed is very challenging!

So there goes cycling for the rest of the summer... and, as I mentioned above, I had just finished tuning it for the season. It also limmits what summer activities I'm going to be able to do.... no swimming, etc. Well I guess it could be worse, at least I'm still mobile...

No comments: